Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Blog Envy

So, I have a new theory about blogging. . .maybe not too profound, but I seriously believe it. I always look at other people's pictures and think to myself, "wow, they did something so cool," or "they have such a cute living room," or "their life seems so exciting." So then I get a comment on my blog from a friend who basically says that something we did seems really cool, and all the while I am thinking, "oh, but honey, it really wasn't all that! It's just what we were doing."

My theory is that maybe blogs are like the infamous "Christmas letters," a.k.a "Brag Letters." You pretty much write all the cool stuff you do, because it is the most interesting, and in the meantime you don't mention that you really need to mop your floor, or do the dishes, or that you haven't washed your car in like a year, or anything that is less than glamorous. I completley don't believe in Brag Letters, but I love the good old blog. So, to help the envy come to an end, let's all (or maybe just me, if I'm the only that has ever experienced this) remember that the person who took a really cool trip to some exotic location also has dirty clothes at home, waiting for them to wash and that their babies smear oatmeal from breakfast in their hair, too. And really, that's what makes life exciting!

13 comments:

Rach said...

I totally agree! Way to go on having such a positive attitude about life! It's better to appreciate what we have than to want what other people have.

joslyn said...

great post. i am thinking of doing a special post just for you. stay tuned.

Ali Jones said...

Oh Meg! It's so true. Although lately for me it hasn't been all fun and games. I normally post when we do something fun, not doing the dishes or mopping!!

Erin said...

I love you for blogging about this because it is so true.

Erin said...

I love you for blogging about this because it is so true.

Colby and Emily said...

Hey Meg! It was great seeing you again at the reunion and to meet your husband. You guys have a nice little family and we are excited to keep in touch through the blog and to see all of the different things you are up to.
Colby, Emily, and Martie

Jill said...

Amen, this absolutely true and i love you for blogging it. I miss you a ton and miss your great humor!!!!!!!

Trace said...

Amen sista!

Diana said...

Meg- once again, I totally agree. I have only had a blog a measily three weeks and sometimes I don't know what to blog about because my life is filled with the basics rather than all the "exciting" things that everyone else seem to post about. Hooray for you!

Hess Fam said...

AGREED!!!

Becca said...

Meg, I was inspired and decided to dedicate a post to you. Check out my blog, if you haven't already.

Nicky Yamamoto said...

Dear Meg,

I blogstock you, just so you know! I love seeing all the fun things you are doing and I just wanted to agree with everyone else on this post. Thanks for writing it!
Nicky Goebel Yamamoto

NielsonJan said...

We are sooo excited for you and happy for the great baby that gets to come to your house!!!! It is sooo great to see Benson doing so well also!!! Love you, Aunt Jan and Uncle Kirk